Property, done properly.
Mail Icon Phone Icon +44 1534 888855 Register

Rented dwellings licensing

Tuesday 16th April 2024

From May 2024, all landlords will need to have a Renting Dwellings Licence for each unit of residential properties they rent.

There will be a transition period for the first 3 months. During this period properties won’t need to be inspected to be issued a licence.

From 1 August 2024, it will be illegal for a landlord to rent without a licence. We may need to inspect the property before granting a licence.

Licences will be attached to the property itself. This means that if the property is sold, the licence will transfer to the new owner.


When you don’t need a license

You do not need a licence if you rent:

  • lodging house
  • tourist accommodation
  • nursing home or care home

These have separate regulations.


Applying for a license and fee

A licence costs £60 and is valid for 2 years.

You’ll be able to apply for a licence online from May 2024.​​


Minimum standards to meet

To receive a licence, your rental property must meet minimum standards:

Electrical safety

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) must be undertaken by a competent engineer. These inspections are valid for 5 years.

Competent engineers are those that are registered with:

  • National Association of Professional Inspectors and Testers (NAPIT)
  • The National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting (NICEIC)
  • Building Research establishment (BRE)

If there has been no renewal or change of tenancy since 2019, you must get your EICR by no later than 31 December 2023.​

A copy of your EICR must be provided to your tenant within 28 days or if it’s a new tenant, at the start of their occupation

Once you have your EICR, you it is advisable to complete an interim checklist every year or when the tenancy changes.

Gas safety

An annual gas safety inspection of your rented dwelling must be carried out by a person that is registered on the United Kingdom Gas Safe Register.

An inspection should be carried out even if a gas appliance is not connected or in use.

Detection of smoke

You must install a smoke detection alarm fulfilling the standard EN14604 on each storey. Whether or not a storey includes any habitable room.

We would also recommend that interlinking smoke alarms are installed in each room to allow for the earliest possible warning.

You must also install a carbon monoxide detection alarm fulfilling the standard EN 50291 in each habitable room where there is a facility for the combustion of:

  • oil
  • gas
  • wood
  • coal
  • any similar fossil fuel or any derivative products of any of these fuels​

All alarms must be kept in full working order. If the alarm is battery powered, it must be operational at the start of every rental period.

You can find alarm standards on the packaging of the device.


Information to provide to occupiers

You must provide a copy of your licence and written information explaining how your tenants can raise a concern or complaint about their rented property within 28 days of the:

  • start of your licence
  • renewal of an existing tenancy agreement
  • signing of a new tenancy agreement

You can provide this information in an electronic format or hard copy. This can be provided to your tenants in an email, a handbook or a notice displayed in a communal area.

The information you provide your tenants must include:

  • a contact address and daytime phone number to be used to communicate their concern or complaint
  • an out-of-hours telephone number to be used in an emergency
  • how their concern or complaint will be dealt with
  • a statement on their rights to seek advice from, or raise a complaint with our department, together with our contact details

If you make any material changes to the written information you have provided you must ensure that your tenants are advised of these within 28 days of the changes taking place.

You must communicate these changes in the same way as you communicated the original written information you provided.

You can use the following template to provide this information your tenants.

Tenancy agreement

A residential tenancy agreement should be:

  • in writing
  • signed by or on behalf of the parties to the agreement
  • use specific terms and conditions to be agreed between the parties

Condition report

You must provide your tenants with a condition report which must:

  • be in writing and may include images
  • record the physical condition and state of repair of each property when tenants move in and out
  • be completed at start and end of each rental agreement
  • allow the tenant 7 days in which to review, amend or accept the report

You must provide this report even if you have not taken a deposit.


Additional guidance 

Find guidance on the Public Health and Safety (Rented Dwellings) (Jersey) Law 2018 in the following document. Including details on the 29 prescribed hazards and preventative measures.

Rented Dwellings Licensing code of practice

Rented Dwellings Licensing guidance summary​

← Return to guides and advice


Why not let us do the hard work for you?

Fill out your details below and our dedicated team will take care of the searching for you, matching your needs with our ever changing list of properties for sale in Jersey and working on your behalf until we help you find your perfect new home.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Our website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you have consented to having cookies placed on your computer.

To find out more please read our cookie policy.